Many individuals and families in Connecticut have suffered needlessly due to the actions of those who choose to drink and drive. Have you suffered injuries or lost a loved one in a drunk driving accident? If you have, you may have legal recourse.

If you want to seek compensation for your losses, it can be difficult to know where to start. You may be unsure of who you can file claims against, how to file a civil action or what claims even apply to your case.

Who is responsible?

In Connecticut, the driver who caused your accident may be responsible for your losses. Along with the driver, one may hold accountable the establishments that sell or serve alcoholic beverages. Dram shop laws make this possible.

How to file civil actions

If you want to file civil actions against those responsible for your losses, it is a matter of filing a claim in court. An experienced attorney can help you take the steps to do so.

What claims apply to my case?

It depends on the details of your case. If you have suffered injuries in a drunk driving accident, you may file a personal injury claim. If you lost a loved one in such an incident, you may file wrongful death and possibly survival actions. If an establishment contributed to your losses, you may file a dram shop claim. These are just the basic civil actions, and others may apply.

In order to file any of these claims, you will need to be able to prove negligence in order for your case to be successful. For example, with a dram shop claim, you will need to show in court that an establishment:

  • Sold alcohol to the driver responsible for your crash
  • Recklessly sold to an intoxicated person
  • Provide evidence that the sell contributed to the driver’s intoxication
  • Show proof of intoxication

If you can provide sufficient evidence to the court, an establishment may be liable for damages.

Get help with your drunk driving case

Proving a driver is at fault for a drunk driving accident case can be fairly simple, as toxicology reports can verify impairment. Proving fault against an establishment may be a bit of a challenge, however.

Thankfully, this is not a fight you have to go through alone. An experienced attorney can help you navigate the legal process in order to seek relief for any recoverable losses.