Law Offices of Wesley M. Malowitz
Call for a Free Consultation

Will my workplace accident be covered by workers' compensation?

There are countless ways for a Connecticut worker to hurt him or herself at work. From a trench collapse for a construction worker, to a car accident on the job for someone in sales, there is no one standard workplace accident. Therefore, a Connecticut worker may wonder upon being injured in an accident at work if he or she will be able to receive workers' compensation benefits.

Typically, for a person to qualify for workers' compensation benefits, the worker's injury must be work-related. For an injury to be work-related, that means that it happened while a worker was performing his or her work duties, or doing something on behalf of his or her employer.

Activities that may at first glance not appear to be work-related, such as a company holiday party or other social event, may still be considered to be work-related activities and, therefore, if a person in injured at the company party, he or she may be able to obtain workers' compensation benefits. Significantly, even if alcohol contributes to the accident, workers' compensation benefits may be available if the event was a company event. Injuries that happen on a person's lunch break will generally not qualify a worker to receive workers' compensation benefits, but if the injury occurred in the company cafeteria or involved work in another fashion, a person may still be able to receive benefits.

A worker who suffers from what may be deemed a mental injury or condition due to his or her job may also be able to receive workers' compensation benefits, as these conditions are treated the same as physical injuries with regards to benefits.

If you have been injured in a work accident, whether at lunch, in the car or on a jobsite, it may be wise to seek legal counsel to discuss your rights and options. Many accidents that may not at first appear to be work-related may in fact be, and, therefore, a worker may be eligible for benefits.

Source: FindLaw, "I Have a Job-Related Injury: What are My Employer's Responsibilities?" accessed Oct. 16, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Me What’s Wrong

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response
Law Offices of Wesley M. Malowitz

Law Offices of Wesley Malowitz
1055 Summer Street
Second Floor
Stamford, CT 06905

Toll Free: 866-539-5781
Phone: 203-517-0110
Fax: 203-324-8988
Stamford Law Office Map