A Connecticut worker who is injured on the job may have many questions running through his or her mind immediately after the accident. Will I be able to work again? How long will I be out of work? How much will my medical care cost? But, a worker’s first thought may simply be – what do I do now? There are simple steps that a person should take in the event he or she suffers an injury at work.

First, a worker should report his or her injury to his or her employer promptly. A reporting delay could make it more likely that an employer will dispute the cause of the injury as work-related. An employer will need to file the appropriate paperwork documenting the employee’s report of injury.

Medical treatment should be arranged by the employer promptly, at either a walk-in clinic, hospital, specific designated physician or company medical facility, if available. Workers whose employers have designated medical providers must accept this treatment initially.

It is important for an injured worker to file a workers’ compensation claim promptly. Workers may obtain 30C Forms to file their claims at a local District Office. It is imperative that an injured worker not rely on his or her employer’s accident report. A worker must file his or her own claim following a workplace injury if he or she wishes to obtain workers’ compensation benefits. In the event a worker does not receive a benefit check within two weeks, it may also be necessary to contact the employer’s workers’ compensation insurance carrier to ensure that they have the proper documentation.

For a worker dealing with serious medical issues following a workplace accident, it may be hard to remember even these simple steps. A Connecticut attorney familiar with workers’ compensation procedures may be able to guide an injured worker through the process and answer questions along the way.

Source: State of Connecticut Workers’ Compensation Commission, “What to Do if You are Injured on the Job,” accessed Nov. 8, 2001