Law Offices of Wesley M. Malowitz
Call for a Free Consultation

What steps should I take if I am injured at work in Connecticut?

A Connecticut worker who is injured on the job may have many questions running through his or her mind immediately after the accident. Will I be able to work again? How long will I be out of work? How much will my medical care cost? But, a worker's first thought may simply be - what do I do now? There are simple steps that a person should take in the event he or she suffers an injury at work.

First, a worker should report his or her injury to his or her employer promptly. A reporting delay could make it more likely that an employer will dispute the cause of the injury as work-related. An employer will need to file the appropriate paperwork documenting the employee's report of injury.

Medical treatment should be arranged by the employer promptly, at either a walk-in clinic, hospital, specific designated physician or company medical facility, if available. Workers whose employers have designated medical providers must accept this treatment initially.

It is important for an injured worker to file a workers' compensation claim promptly. Workers may obtain 30C Forms to file their claims at a local District Office. It is imperative that an injured worker not rely on his or her employer's accident report. A worker must file his or her own claim following a workplace injury if he or she wishes to obtain workers' compensation benefits. In the event a worker does not receive a benefit check within two weeks, it may also be necessary to contact the employer's workers' compensation insurance carrier to ensure that they have the proper documentation.

For a worker dealing with serious medical issues following a workplace accident, it may be hard to remember even these simple steps. A Connecticut attorney familiar with workers' compensation procedures may be able to guide an injured worker through the process and answer questions along the way.

Source: State of Connecticut Workers' Compensation Commission, "What to Do if You are Injured on the Job," accessed Nov. 8, 2001

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Me What’s Wrong

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response
Law Offices of Wesley M. Malowitz

Law Offices of Wesley Malowitz
1055 Summer Street
Second Floor
Stamford, CT 06905

Toll Free: 866-539-5781
Phone: 203-517-0110
Fax: 203-324-8988
Stamford Law Office Map