Can You File A Claim In A Hit-And-Run Accident?

Sometimes proving liability is not enough. The ability to collect damages for a car accident is often limited to the amount of liability insurance available.

If the occupant of a car, motorcycle, or a pedestrian or bicycle rider is injured by a vehicle that leaves the scene, Connecticut law views the hit-and-run driver as "uninsured." Victims can collect damages from their own uninsured/underinsured coverage up to the limits of their policy.

In serious accidents with extensive injuries, medical expenses and lost wages can easily exceed the amount of coverage provided by these claims, which is not adequate to fully compensate the victim. In most instances, you are able to seek full compensation by bringing an underinsured motorist claim under your own insurance policy.

In some circumstances, an uninsured motorist claim may also be brought against the insurance policy of a relative with whom you live or even against your employer's automobile insurance policy in a work-related accident.

Thorough Knowledge Of Insurance Law

At the Law Offices of Wesley M. Malowitz in Stamford, I am skilled at maximizing recovery under all applicable insurance policies and finding additional insurance coverage to secure compensation for my clients.

As a lawyer who has won these cases for decades, I understand insurance policies, their exclusions and which policies to pursue.

Contact me online, or call 866-539-5781 to schedule a free consultation with me. Based in Stamford, I handle auto accident cases throughout Connecticut.

Weekend appointments are available, as well as appointments at a hospital or home.